Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Kanye West - 808's And Heartbreak Album Review


I Just picked up the new Kanye. First, let me say this album is definitely not TRADITIONAL hip-hop by definition or comparison. But, I feel like Kanye West Is pushing the envelope as far as taking elements from every music genre and making them his own. With that being said, there's a fine line between voicing your opinion and hating. Hating isn't good for you. Sidebar:It gives you high cholesterol and a chode(google it) . But, I have digressed..........


1. Say You Will
On 808's opening track, Kanye West vents his frustration about his ex-fiance Alexis Phifer not understanding the saying "Actions Speak Louder Than Words". The track itself fails to compliment Kanye's storytelling. 6.8/10
2.Welcome To Heartbreak featuring Kid Cudi
Most of the time I try to be impartial when making decisions on if something is wack or not. KID CUDI IS WACK. And this is my opinion(and I'm sure it is others also). Kanye vents again this track. Basically, he's saying he wants kids and how all he has to show for in life are material things. The track doesn't strike me in any way. FAIL. 5.o/10
3. Heartless
One of my favorite tracks on the album. This track is the only track on the album that features some kind of rapping (but not really).The beat's simplicity is enough to knock and get airplay on the radio. Sidebar:I identified the sample (which was played over)....I can't remember the name of the song. It's an old Paul McCartney song. I recognize the chord progressions. Anyway, like most songs on this album this is song is dedicated to his ex-fiancee. 8.5-9.0/10.0
4. Amazing featuring Young Jeezy
This track is also a banger. Honestly, Auto-Tune is pissing me off. It's annoying now only because everybody's abusing it. But anyway, Kanye sings about a some bullshit. "I'm a monster, I'm a killer, I know I'm wrong,I'm a problem that will never ever be solved. THEN, sings about some things that raise some eyebrows. I'm a monster, I'm a MAVEN(google it),
I know this world is changing (maybe its just me).
Young Jizzle spazzes on this one.
9.5/10

5.Love Lockdown
I hated this at first. But, its grew on me. The video concept is very dope. I guess Kanye is trying to get his Chris Martin On(as far as the piano and tribal drums). The production strikes me as some Coldplay-ish type pop. The tribal drums in the closing of the song are dope.Obviously, Kanye wants you to keep your love lockdown.(my mom told me this in 97')8.5/10
6.Paranoid featuring Mr. Hudson and the Library
By far the best song on the album. It's also as far away as hip-hop as you can go. Straight pop on this banger. Paranoia of the girlfriend is the subject of this song"You worry about the wrong things,the wrong things,the wrong things......The singer Mr. Hudson reminds of the frontman from Fall Out Boy. Dope Shit. 10/10
7.Robocop featuring additional production from The Legendary Herbie Hancock.
This track requires an aquired taste. It's a little bit experimental. Me personally, I enjoyed the other version. This one is definetaly a banger though. It strikes me as some Euro-pop experimental type shit. I like it though. 9.0/10
8.Street Lights
Big fan of this one. Very Experimental. One of the few tracks where its dope to the point where I can respect it on a level of a fan and a producer. 9.5/10
9.Bad News
You can only guess what the song is about. The death of his mother and the lack of support from his ex-fiancee and among other things....
This track is heartfelt. With that being said, the lyrics are medicore at best. The symphony on the song is dope though. 7.8/10
10.See You In My Knightmares featuring Lil Wayne
The song's concept scares me so much, I'm not gonna tell what its about.I bet you won't get it.
It's much more than him telling Ms. Phifer than he doesn't love her anymore. Anyway, the song is dope. I am a Big Lil Wayne fan. But, he killed the whole vibe of this song with his choice of $2 words and metaphors, "You think your shit doesn't stink, but you are Mrs. Pee-You. (sighs)
8.5/10

11.Coldest Winter
The beat is very creative and dope on this one. This is song is dedicated to his late mother Donda West. I can definately relate to this song(as far as losing a mother recently,not that recent but it feels like it).Deep 808 bassdrums and white noise invoke the feeling of being heartbroken.
10/10

I would write a review about Pinnochio Story but I can't really make out what he's saying.
Overall Rating:9.2/10
Kanye has done it once again. But, due to its experimental value, NIGGAS WILL HATE. Just know that I fucks with this one.
Thraxxx Savage

No comments: